The release of data collected in the 2020 Census takes place over several years, with the initial products focused on congressional apportionment and legislative redistricting.
We’ll provide links directly to U.S. Census Bureau products on this page, as well as Tennessee State Data Center geographic products, tools and analysis designed specifically to support Tennessee data users.
2020 Census Release Schedule
- 2020 Census P.L. 94-171 Geographic Support Products
- Apportionment Counts
- P.L. 94-171 Redistricting Tables as pipe-delimited text files
- P.L. 94-171 Redistricting Tables on data.census.gov
- Demographic and Housing Characteristics File (Est. May 2023)
- Demographic Profiles (Est. May 2023)
What does the 2020 Census tell us about Tennessee? Read our breakdowns focused on the new decennial census data.
- Tennessee Population Tops 6.9 Million in First 2020 Census Result
- Tennessee’s Growing Racial and Ethnic Diversity among 2020 Headlines
- New Application Highlights Shifting Center of Tennessee, U.S. Populations
- 2020 Census Records Undercount of Tennessee Residents
- Economic Report to the Governor: Tennessee Economy Long Term Outlook
Download 2020 Census Data Files
The 2020 Census Redistricting Data were released on August 12, 2021. We’ve done the heavy-lifting and processed the data into formats that can be used with popular statistics and mapping software.
2020 QuickStats Tables and GIS Data
Our ready-to-use “QuickStats” products include a selection of the most popular 2020 Census Redistricting variables including:
- Total population
- Race/Hispanic ethnicity
- Housing units and occupancy
- Group quarters population
We publish data for cities/towns, counties, census tracts and block. Downloads are available in CSV, Excel and several geographic information system (GIS) formats.
2020 Population of Tennessee Counties and Incorporated Areas
We provide 2020 population totals for Tennessee’s 95 counties and 345 incorporated areas. Need to know fastest-growing communities in the state? These figures also include 2010 and 2020 totals along with percent change.
2000 and 2010 Census Data
We compiled data from the 2000 and 2010 Census for the state and published them in formats that are compatible with our 2020 QuickStats products,
A maps series showing population change and data tables with information with race, ethnicity and housing units statistics from those earlier decades are included.
2020 Sub-county Total Population
35 of Tennessee’s 345 incorporated areas fall in more than one county. In this table, each county is broken down into its sub-county components which includes population in incorporated areas and unincorporated portions.
2020 Census Data Updates
2020 PUMA Geography Update Project
Public Use Microdata Areas, or PUMAs, are statistical areas with a minimum of 100,000 people. A set of anonymized census responses are released for each PUMA in the state. In February 2022, new boundaries were submitted to the Census Bureau for final approval.